Thursday, January 28, 2016

Five tips for travelling for work


On occasion, aka every few months, I travel for work. Currently, and most often, my destination is Auckland, New Zealand as this is where most of my team resides.

Travelling for work is tough. You are away from your loved ones, while at the same time trying to cram as much work as you can into the shortest period of time, so you can get home to your family. 

So, I thought I would share my top five tips to survive travelling for work:
  1. If travelling internationally, turn on your International Roaming. This was bite me in the bum big time once. I had just presumed it would be on...it wasn't. I had to run to the local convenience store and buy a pre-paid number.

  2. Trade something with the kids to keep close to your heart. This really helps my daughter, who has terribly anxiety when I am away. I usually give her my S necklace I got for my 30th birthday to wear when I am away. She usually gives me one of her beaded bracelets.

  3. Make sure meetings / dinners etc allow for you to still call home at bed time. Mind you, even I am at dinner with my colleagues I will always take a call from home.

  4. Try to take some "me" time. Considering you are alone (of sorts) you might as well take some advantage and grab a massage ore perhaps see a movie.

  5. Get in some exercise.  Most hotels these days have a gym, so why not get up half an hour early and run on the treadmill or go for a swim - especially as you have no breakfast to organise.

Do you travel for work? Got any tips?




No comments:

Post a Comment