Tuesday, January 14, 2014

My views on The Reunion by Sue Walker

On a trip to the local library recently with little miss and mr to borrow some kids books, I found myself wondering through the fiction shelves. It had been an age since I had read a book cover to cover that didn't involve babies, parenting or school transition.

I walked slowly up and down casually glancing at the spines of each book wondering which one would be worth a read. Secretly wanting to take all of them home and locking myself away to read them and feel the worn paper on my fingers.

But I am a realist and a mum with two small kids so I thought one at a time would probably be more than enough.

I stopped in the W section and saw a book titled The Reunion by Sue Walker.

Reading the back of the book it indicated that Innes Haldane, had spent time in an avant-garde psychiatric hospital as a teenager. She was incarcerated in the "Unit" after being deemed out of control both physically and sexually. She spent her time there with six other dysfunctional teenagers; Danny, Carrie, Lydia, Alexandra, Simon and Isabella.

Since their time in the "Unit", they have spent their adult lives trying to forget the unspeakable acts that sent them there and what occurred behind its walls. But it seems that a murderer is stalking the former patients and the only way to save themselves is by reuniting.

I love a good murder mystery and with little miss nagging at me to hurry up, I decided this was it.

As soon as I started reading this book, I just couldn't put it down. I would describe it as one of those gripping thrillers that is a serious page turner.

I simply had to find out the truth about what happened in the "Unit" that had left these adults so tormented and why the inmates were dying one by one. There were little breadcrumbs strewn throughout giving little clues here and there but I just couldn't figure it out.

The book jumps from past to present and character to character very cleverly. But I was never lost as to where I was in time or who was telling me their version of events.

Finally when the truth is uncovered, Innes is rocked.  As was I. I felt like I had been hit by a bus and I had certainly not seen it coming. I was shocked and grief stricken. So much so that I didn't know if I could finish the book. But I had to, I needed to reach some point of closure.

Finishing the book I did reach some closure, as did Innes. However, I am still thinking about it. It seems to have affected me profoundly.

Would I recommend it to you to read? To be honest I am not sure.

Have you read The Reunion by Sue Walker?
If so, what are your thoughts?
Do you have any books to recommend?

No comments:

Post a Comment