Sunday, May 19, 2013

Sports Sunday - Women in League

I love sport, especially rugby league. To me, rugby league is a kind of therapy. I can yell and scream during the game as loud as I want and a lot of my issues seem to melt away - for 80 minutes anyway. It is extremely curative.

When I was first started going to games with my Dad, there was not a lot of mention of women in rugby league. It was hard for women to even become members of some Rugby League clubs. And there wasn't talk of women playing rugby league. I am sure they did but it certainly wasn't recognised in the media.

Thankfully, over the years the role of women in rugby league has completely changed.

This weekend was the annual Women in League round.

This is the seventh year that rugby league has celebrated women.

Did you know that over 140,000 women and girls have a direct connection with rugby league, as administrators, players, coaches, employees, volunteers or club members.

As part of the Women of League round (May 17-20, 2013) players, coaches, referees and fans all get involved and turn the game pink to celebrate the role of women in the game.

Not only a time to celebrate but also to raise money for many worthy women's charities, including the McGrath Foundation. Last year, the McGrath Foundations "Pull On Your Socks" campaign raised more than $100,000 through the support of Rugby League clubs.

I am so glad that there has been this shift regarding women in rugby league. I am glad that my daughter will grow up not having to question why women can't become members of rugby league clubs. That she will always think that rugby league has celebrated the role of women.

Did your club get involved in the Women of League round?




No comments:

Post a Comment