Monday, October 15, 2012

The Lance Armstrong fallout

Devastated.....pretty much sums up my emotional state in the fallout of the latest Lance Armstrong headlines.

For those living under a rock, Lance Armstrong is an American former professional road racing cyclist and is the founder and chairman of the Lance Armstrong Foundation "Livestrong" for cancer support. He also survived testicular cancer (which became lung and brain cancer) in the mid 1990's. His cancer treatments included brain and testicular surgery and extensive chemotherapy.

Most notably was the fact that he won 7 consecutive Tour De France cycling races 1999-2005 after returning to cycling following his cancer treatment.

I have followed Lance Armstrong since the mid 1990's, I purchased his two books; It's Not About the Bike and Every Second Counts, which I have read countless times and continually admired his courage. I cheered him on during all 7 Tour De France wins. I have been a believer. A believer that cancer can be overcome and the unimaginable achieved.

When allegations first surfaced about Lance Armstrong and doping, I didn't believe and really didn't want to hear it. He was a hero, he had survived cancer and achieved the unimaginable - hadn't he?

The latest allegations however have been damning with 26 witnesses, 11 of these  previous team mates, all giving evidence against him that he not only doped but provided them with the means to dope as well. And USADA believe they have strong evidence against him, amounting to more than 1000 pages.

Hubby has been emailing me links to news articles with all the sordid details and every news station has been headlining it all week. Commentary from fans seems to be "I don't care if he did it or not" - really? Weren't these fans believers in his natural abilities? Weren't they impressed by the thought of someone overcoming cancer and achieving 7 Tour De France titles?

Up until this stage he has not contested the allegations in court, and who knows if he ever will. Recent newspaper reports state he "might take a lie detector test if the 26 witnesses do the same". His lawyer is saying that the 26 witnesses have only come forward because they were offered deals, suspended for months instead of years for doping, so how can they be trusted.

I have to admit to continually wearing my rose coloured glasses about the whole thing (which I tend to do with a lot of things) and hoping that it will go away or new evidence will come out that the whole thing has been a mistake....unlikely I know.

Have I been wearing my rose coloured glasses for long enough when it comes to Lance Armstrong?

Image from AFP.

6 comments:

  1. I feel exactly the same way about this. I am so sad. I truly wanted to believe that he was possible and I feel so let down at the moment. Solidarity.

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS: Tried to join, but the Follow thingy not working!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Allison,
      Did you try the Follow By Email? Did you get any errors?
      I just tested it and it seemed to be working.
      Thanks
      SAM :)

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, I feel the same. Really gutted. I've been following pro-cycling since the early 2000's right when Armstrong was at his peak. My husband is a keen cyclist. I think I knew that there was doping going on, but never to the extent that has been recently alluded to. I read the 200 page USADA report last night. Shocking, is one word that comes to mind. So rampant, so conspired and so totally planned. That is what is shocking to me. And the fact that Lance still chooses to deny... I just don't know. I just can't believe anymore with this evidence. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My Hubby is a keen cyclist too!
      It is shocking that so many were involved - and now there is talk of Michael Rogers doping as well. I am starting to wonder if anyone will be clean by the end.

      Delete