Thursday, February 2, 2017

Our Rafiki


Joel

I have followed Constance Hall from afar admiring her fierceness and tenacity for some time now. None more so than her work with Rafiki Mwema when she raised enough money to build a Queens Castle for the gorgeous girls at Rafiki Mwema. She is also donating $1 from each of her book sales to the King's Castle.

Another auspicious blogger I have stalked and seriously admired, I'd even go as far to say I have a girl crush on this lady, is Danielle from Keeping up with the Holsby's. She is seriously amazing and just climbed Kilimanjaro to raise money for Rafiki Mwema.

Rafiki Mwema means "loyal friend" in Swahili and is a place that has been setup by lovely ladies, Sarah and Anne Marie to create an environment so abused children can be therapeutically parented and have regular therapy as individuals and in groups. The kids are also supported to have safe contact with their families. Most importantly they are loved.

The team at Rafiki Mwema work with families; in the communities; the schools; churches; villages; with the government officials to ensure the cycle of abuse is broken and children are able to live as children should.

They are totally committed to supporting the children who have experienced things we could not even imagine and to help them heal their trauma. They are looking at a family who will grow to love and be loved.

Ever since I heard about Rafiki Mwema I haven't been able to get it out of my mind. These beautiful children were constantly in my thoughts.

So I decided to do something about it. Hubby and I have talked for a long time about sponsoring a child and now we do, his name is Joel - that is him up there in that picture.

Joel has not had a great life so far - in fact so far from it. He has been abused by his family, ended up on the streets where he was abused even further - unthinkable things have happened to this young man. He is finally safe at Rafiki Mwema and Hubby, the kids and I are doing our part to make sure his future is bright.

Have you heard of Rafiki Mwema?

No comments:

Post a Comment