Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Being thankful

As the new year dawns it is a time of reflection. Not just for me, but for many. People make their resolutions or set their goals for the year ahead. The new year can also be a time to remember what you are thankful for.

I am thankful for so many things.

Family

Hubby, little miss and little mr are my everything. The love I have for them is indescribable. It is that type of love that grabs at your chest and just won't let go. I can't imagine what my life would be like without them in it. I am thankful everyday for the laughs and love we share.

I am also extremely thankful for my extended family, my mum, dad, brother and sister-in-law. They are extremely supportive of me and my little family. They are always there when I need them and I would be totally lost without them. No words can really describe how I feel about them, but hopefully they all have some idea.

Friends

Being able to surround myself with some pretty amazing people is something I am extremely thankful about. I am lucky to have really great friends, who accept me for who I am and the crazy that comes along with that. I still have close friends from school and have added some treasured friendships since through Hubby, dance classes, workplaces, mothers group and daycare.

Even though I don't see them all as much as I would like, I am still thankful everyday that they are in my life.

Job

With parts of the world still be in dire economic crisis and many people unable to get a job, I am extremely thankful that I have one. I am also extremely thankful that my employer allows flexible working arrangements so I can be there for my family as much as possible.

Home

Living in such a wonderful country makes me thankful everyday. Where women have the same rights as men. My daughter and son can grow up and be whatever they want to be. Where I can walk freely down the street with my kids and not be in fear of my life. Where it shines more than it rains - mostly.

I am thankfully for the little house that Hubby and I bought to make our home and create unforgettable memories with our little miss and mr.

Health

I am often hard on myself for not eating salads, fruit and vegetables or exercising every day.  But as general health goes I am thankful. My body moves me from A to B and I have never suffered a major illness. 

Some people are not so lucky with their health and others have been through major illnesses and thankfully come out the other side. 


Heather

Heather and her family

Heather and her beautiful daughter Lily

Since starting my blogging journey I have met some lovely people, in Australia and overseas. One of those lovely people is Heather von St James. 

Heather is also thankful for her health this new year because she is a pleural mesothelioma survivor. 

In 2005, at the age of 36 and with a three month old daughter, she was diagnosed with mesothelioma. She was given 15 months to live. Mesothelioma is an aggressive cancer affecting the membrane lining of the lungs and abdomen. It is the most serious of all asbestos-related diseases.

When she learned of this life-changing diagnosis, she embarked on finding the best care available. She found a doctor at the Boston based Brigham and Women's hospital and her treatment started.

She is now a seven-year mesothelioma cancer survivor! 

If you want to read more of Heather's story, please go to here http://www.mesothelioma.com/heather/#.UsdkQvQW18G

What are you thankful for right now?

No comments:

Post a Comment