Yesterday I actually had 2 minutes to look at www.smh.com.au and couldn't go past this article by Nina Hendy, Ten things you should never do at your desk, for reasons I shall explain in a minute. But first, to her list of things that will repel you from work every time.
- Loud phone conversations; talking loudly on personal calls
- Repulsive smells; egg sandwiches and smelly feet
- The chip muncher; rustling chip packets and loud crunching
- Germ spreaders; sneezers and coughers
- Fire alarm; the dreaded fire alarm test
- Paper jam; when you can't print because someone has jammed the machine
- The roaming boss; trying to avoid the boss when they are roaming
- A mountain of emails; doing anything to avoid answering emails
- Celebrations in the tea room; the lure of the cake is hard to deny
- The sound of music; bopping along to the music blaring from the headphones next to you
Okay, the reason I couldn't go past this list was because I work in an office (when I am not on parental leave that is) and to say we have some characters in our office would be an understatement of epic proportions.
What I wanted to see on Nina's list were some of the things that my work colleagues partake in that seriously repel you from wanting to work or ever enter the office again. Therefore, I would add to her list the following:
- Cut your finger nails or toe nails
- Leave beer bottles to breed a colony of super flies
- Store used coffee mugs in the drawers to breed a colony of super flies
- Spit in the bin
I'd take a roaming boss, celebrations in the tea room and the sound of music any day.
Offices really are a place for a mix match of human personalities and traits!
If you are interested in Nina's article, you can view it here - http://www.smh.com.au/small-business/growing/ten-things-you-should-never-do-at-your-desk-20130917-2tvw1.html