Friday, May 31, 2013

What is a holiday?

This week my parents are jetting off on their first big overseas adventure to Europe, UK and Ireland. Apparently I need to get them to the airport by 5am - this of course will be the night that my little man decides to sleep until 7am.

They will be gone a total of eight weeks. I'm not sure how I will handle Fridays without them (they have been looking after Little Miss 4 on Fridays for 4 years) but that is a post for another day.

To say I am envious is an understatement.

It got me thinking - "I really would love a holiday".

My idea of a holiday is sitting on a secluded beach under a tree with a gentle warm breeze blowing, reading a book, sipping cocktails and enjoying a tapas plate.

Image credit

I have friends who have very different ideas of what a holiday is.

One is an adventurer. He thinks that when you go on a holiday you have to be risking your life in some way. He has swam with sharks, walked to Mt Everest base camp, trekked in Africa and toured the Middle East.

Another one is a camper. She packs up her family, heads into the middle of nature, pitches a tent, cooks on the camp fire and shits in the woods. Her idea of a shower is hanging something to a tree and hoping for the best.

Others are sightseers. They go places to look at stuff. The biggest this, the largest that. This museum and that art gallery.

Of course these holidays also have their appeal. But at the moment I really want to be sitting on a beach, reading a book, sipping a cocktail and eating tapas.

What is your idea of a holiday?

2 comments:

  1. I love so many different types of holidays. There are times when I just want to sit on a beach, other times when I want to explore the world, and other holidays in familiar surrounds! Right now though, simply a night away from the kids would be nice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A night away from the kids would be bliss. Imagine sitting in front of an open fire with a glass of read and your favourite book :)

      Delete