Monday, May 18, 2015

Stopping to smell the roses


My niece got married on the weekend.

It sounds so bizarre to say "my niece". You see my husband was a "surprise" baby, so his siblings are much older, like 18 years older. Therefore, his nieces and nephews are in their 20's and 30's now.

They are grown-ups, getting married and having babies.

So, on the weekend, my niece got married. She has been with her partner since her teens, they have two beautiful boys and now they are married.

Weddings always get me thinking about my own marriage. As I listen to the vows being spoken and watch as the love is shared, I think of the vows that we spoke on our own wedding day and wonder if we still uphold them.

I always take it as a chance to stop and smell the roses, so to speak, of my own relationship. In the hustle and bustle of life and everyday, we can often lose sight of each other, taking for granted what we have built over the years. Relationships are so important and they need nurturing. Just like a rose, they need care and attention.

When I was first married, my mum gave me an article she had found in Body&Soul magazine, it basically said you need to make time for each other, no matter what. I believe that and still do, which is why Hubby and I are always making time for each other, whether it is a date night, a night away or our nightly cuppa together.

Do you and your partner get to spend some quality time?
Do you think about your relationship at weddings?



No comments:

Post a Comment