Tuesday, December 17, 2013

#MyFirst....Fulfilled Wish

#MyFirst....Fulfilled Wish

When I was a wee little lady I am sure I had many wishes. Wishes for friends, barbies, long summer days, reciprocated love, etc, etc. However, now that I am a bit older than a wee little lady I have no recollection of these wishes.

Trying to remember my first fulfilled wish and my mind instantly thinks of our little miss. I wished so much for a family, to hear the pitter patter of little feet in my house.

When Hubby and I married in 2005, I was eager to start a family. Having Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS), I knew it may not be easy to fall pregnant. However, Hubby wanted to have some "us" time before any little people came along. (I thank him for this now).

When I turned 30 we started trying for our little bundle. We had already seen a fertility specialist and he said, "Don't muck about, when you are ready, come and see me." So we did.

We did three rounds of Clomid and NOTHING! I didn't even ovulate. I started to panic, thinking the worst and that I had no eggs.

My doctor upped the ante and we were going to try Intrauterine Insemination (IUI). Firstly I had to have a laparoscopy to make sure my tubes weren't blocked and nothing sinister was going on in my uterus.

Apart from some pesky fibroids, all was okay and we were scheduled to start IUI.

I injected myself with follicle stimulating hormone (FSH) for days and days, had blood tests and ultrasounds and still no sign of that one precious egg. The dose was increased. It is a very precious science, as you only want to grow one follicle (and therefore one egg), if you grow too many then the cycle is a BUST!

Thankfully, on the increased dose something started to happen, a teeny tiny follicle started to grow and then all of a sudden it was at the right size and we were good to go.

The day of the insemination was the Buck's party of one of Hubby's closest friends, so off I went to the IVF clinic alone to have the procedure. That night I went to the Hen's party of the bride-to-be. No-one was the wiser as to what was going on in my life that day.

Two weeks later - a very long two weeks - I went back to the clinic for a pregnancy blood test. I was so nervous. I had to tell the nurses to call Hubby with the results because if it was positive or negative I wouldn't have been able to keep it to myself being a total emotional wreck at the best of times.

Mid-afternoon, the clinic called Hubby with the results and he kept them to himself. He met me at work and I was trying to gauge by the look on his face whether it was good or bad news.

He said to me, "You are going to be a Mummy!" I burst into tears. I couldn't believe it. Nine months after starting fertility treatment, we had done it.

Our little miss was born, 37 weeks and 7 days after that phone call.

Do you remember your first fulfilled wish?

Linking up with Kerri again for #MyFirst - http://lifeandothercrises.blogspot.com.au/2013/12/myfirst-fulfilled-wish.html

No comments:

Post a Comment