Tuesday, December 31, 2013

My word for 2014....

I've never been one to make new years resolutions, probably because I have never kept one. When I was young I am sure I resolved this and that - and really I have no recollection what they were so they can't have been that drastic or important.  So, now I simply don't bother, who needs the added pressure of resolving something and then failing. Certainly not me.

I do like to set goals and achieve them though. This year I thought it was time to get some clarity in my life so decided to set myself some personal goals that are based on just one word.

For the past two years, the lovely Jodi at JF Gibson Writer has chosen a word for the following year. A word to assist her in setting her goals.  If you want to know her word for 2014 and the reasons, you can visit this post - http://www.jfgibson.com.au/2013/12/my-word-for-2014-is/.

Maxabella Loves also has a link up for people to share their chosen word of year, so pop on over there if you want to get involved!

This post is all about my word for 2014...which is, FOCUS.


Focus - on family

Family is the most important thing to me. Without Hubby, little miss and little mr I am not sure where I would be or what I would be doing and it is probably best not to think about it.

I feel that in the second half of 2013 I wasn't focusing on my family as much as I should. I had to return to work two days per week when our little man was six months old, which tore my heart out. This was a time when I should have been completely focused on him, but for financial reasons that just couldn't happen. Things just got busy then and the weeks disappeared in a crazy whirlwind blur and here we are at the end of another year.

Next year will be a big one for both kids, our little man starts daycare and our little miss starts kindergarten in January. Therefore, this year I am going to focus more on my family. To be there for them 100% and not miss these big turning points in their lives.

Hubby and I have also made a conscience decision to spend more quality time together in 2014. Having a newborn makes it difficult to spend any time with your partner, let alone quality time. You seem to blink and another week has passed and then another. Before you know it a month has gone by and you haven't had a chance to have a quiet dinner together.

But we are about to have a five year old and a one year old, so will make sure that we set aside time each week to just be with each other. (Thank goodness for awesome grandparents.)

It will also mean disconnecting more in 2014. Not spending so much time on social media. It is true, I am guilty. I am a social media-aholic and it has to stop. In 2014, I pledge to only be on social media during the working day and for business purposes. 

Focus - on me

I have been banging on about this for a while now - getting healthy, both physically and emotionally. 2014 is the year of action. I am going to focus thirty minutes each day on some form of exercise or meditation. I am also going to focus on preparing healthy and nutritious meals for the whole family. 

I want to be a good role model for my kids when it comes to exercising and eating well. It is time to take the bull-by-the-horns, so to speak, and stop just talking about it.

Focus - on writing and my business

Starting my freelance writing business at the end of 2013 was a definite highlight. Mind you, I am completely and utterly petrified about the whole thing and my self-doubt and internal critic are shouting very loudly in my head that I have jumped for nothing. But taking the plunge and just doing it felt great, like I really had achieved something.

In 2014, I am going to focus on writing more because I love it. 

I'll pitch more, start writing my book (I mean really writing it, not just starting and then starting again and again), get my business name out there and hopefully attract some clients. I will focus on networking with my lovely writer friends and attend some writer-type courses. 

By the end of 2014 I hope to have some great things to share with everyone.

Do you set personal goals?
or perhaps a new year's resolution?
or do you have a word for the year ahead too?





No comments:

Post a Comment