Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Brave Angelina Jolie

image from here

I am sure there will be hundreds, if not thousands of posts and media comments on the latest news of Angelina Jolie having a double mastectomy.

This post is going to be one of them.

I salute Angelina Jolie for the brave decision to have a preventative double mastectomy. I believe her when she says the choice was a difficult one. At the end of the day she is a mum trying to do the best for her kids and family.

When I was in my early twenties, I lost two of my beloved Aunts to breast cancer.

They both suffered so much with this awful disease and the torturous treatment.

One memory that will live with me forever is my aunty showing me the side of her breast after a radiation session, it was blistered and hot. This treatment was burning her from the inside out.

I cry for what they went through and for what they are missing.

I would have loved for them to have had the choice of a mastectomy before the breast cancer took hold of their lives and the lives of those close to them.

If I was faced with the same decision as Angelina Jolie, I hope to be so brave.

This is her article in full - http://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/14/opinion/my-medical-choice.html?src=me&ref=general

Another poignant piece on this tough decision is shown in a TV series by Dawn Porter titled My breasts could kill me. It can currently be viewed on ABC iview - http://www.abc.net.au/iview/#/series/11608.

Would you be so brave?

2 comments:

  1. I think she amazingly brave but also possibly more importantly she realises the good her story will do. She will be inspiring to others facing a similar situation. I think her choice is to be commended, respected and admired.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree. The fact she is bringing awareness to these gene mutations is amazing.

      Delete