Saturday, April 13, 2013

A special little lady



When you think about it, it is truly amazing the impact some people have on your life.

For me, one little lady in particular has played a HUGE role in shaping mine.

I met Mr Huffy and Mrs RAH when I was just 18 years old. Fresh out of school with skinny chicken legs and short skirts. We become the bestest of friends.We had a shit-load in common, still do.

Life ticked on for a few more years and Mrs RAH fell pregnant. I was 25 at the time and marriage and babies were nowhere on my radar. In fact at 25 years old, I never thought I would get married or have kids.

They asked me to be their birth partner. I excitedly agreed. I called every day during her pregnancy for updates. I was so excited for them.

Then the big day finally came. I had no idea that labour could take so loooong. We went for a big walk - still no baby. We went out for ice-cream - still no baby. We went out for fish & chips for dinner - still no baby. Mrs RAH had a relaxing hot bath - still no baby.

Eventually the contractions really kicked in and we were on our way to the hospital. It was a long night. Mr Huffy and I took turns napping on the fold out bed while the other one rubbed Mrs RAH's back.

Morning dawned - still no baby. The obstetrician made the call for a caesarean.

We all prepared for theatre. We were so excited that the baby was five minutes away from making its grand entrance into the big wide world.

What happened next was a catalyst in my life.

Miss H was born! We cried. I cry now as I remember the feeling of seeing her for the first time. Her tiny scrawny little arms and legs covered in muck. She was the most beautiful thing I had ever seen. I truly believed it was a miracle. That two people who loved each other so much had made this beautiful little human being.




As I held her in my arms while they stitched up Mrs RAH I never wanted to let her go. She was an angel.

It was that moment that I knew I wanted to have children. I wanted to share my life with my own little miracle.

That was 10 years ago today.

Today my god-daughter Miss H is ten! She has grown into a beautiful young lady who I am I extremely proud of.

Happy Birthday Miss H. I love you. Thank you for helping to shape my life.

P.S. I met Hubby the very same month that Miss H was born and he changed my ideas on marriage - and now here we are 10 years later, married with two little miracles of our own.

Has someone shaped your life?



2 comments:

  1. Oh that is so beautiful. Sometimes I really do believe life is a laid out plan. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jodi! I can't believe that she is ten. I remember holding her in my arms that day like it was yesterday. And now I have a nearly five year old and a 13 week old of my own. #timeflies

      Delete