Friday, March 22, 2013

Random acts of happy...

Image from here

Since I have been spending more time at home this year with my gorgeous newborn son, I have had more time on my hands to read and watch the news. It seems when I was heading out to work each day I never had the time, I was always rushing here, there and everywhere.

And HOLY SHIT! There is a whole bunch of shitty things going on in the world. I know, DER, right!

Take today for example, some of the headlines read as follows:

  • Assaults on teen girls: fast food manager arrested
  • Jennifer Capriati charged with stalking
  • Teen stabbed in the face
  • Belinda "put over cliff", inquest hears
  • Sydney hotelier shot dead in Pakistan
  • John Laws apparently asked a listener if it was "her fault" she was raped at six - WTF!!! Is this guy kidding?
  • and let's not get started on Federal politics today - but I thank goodness my daughter doesn't watch the news to see these grown-ups bad mouthing each other! Super great example you are setting!

And let's not ignore the media surrounding The Biggest Loser this year with their bullying and fat shaming, the gambling associated with live sports thanks to Tom Waterhouse and Channel Nine and people saying rape victims are to blame - seriously gets my blood boiled.

It all really starts to weigh you down, then you worry about what impact this will have on your kids...etc, etc.

On the flip there are some nice things going on in the world, aren't there? Here are some friendlier headlines from today:

  • Ellen touches down to screaming fans
  • Dad's note to gay son goes viral - this was lovely.
  • Sheldon Cooper like you've never seen him before
  • Childcare workers get pay jump

All this got me thinking about happiness in the world - and the fact it was International Day of Happiness on 20 March - so I have decided that at least once a day I am going to make a concerted effort to perform some random acts of happy for myself or others. By this I mean that I am going to be taking some actions for happiness.

These could include such things as:

  • Doing kind things for others
  • Thanking people I am grateful to
  • Finding three good things each day
  • Looking for the good in those around you
  • Bringing mindfulness into my day
  • Finding my strengths and focus on using them
  • Helping my kids build emotional resilience
  • Using positive parenting techniques
  • Volunteering my time, energy and skills
  • Try something new and different
  • Helping out a friend in need
  • Making something happen for a good cause
  • Setting goals and making them happen
  • Learning how to meditate
  • Really listening to what people are saying
  • Understanding the needs of others
  • Getting to know our neighbours better
  • Detoxing my negative thoughts

I am sure that you get my point! and I am going to blog about each "Random act of happy".

Did you know that when we give to others it activates the areas of the brain associated with pleasure, social connection and trust. Altruistic behaviours releases endorphins in the brain and boosts happiness for us as well as the people we help.

Maybe you would like to join my Random acts of happy journey?



No comments:

Post a Comment