Tuesday, November 14, 2017

My Gut Journey....Part 1


After explaining my "why" I am well and truly on the good gut journey now and it will be a long one. My next appointment for a check-up isn't until January, so for the next two and bit months I am doing the following....

Quitting Sugar

I have switched out the gluten free snacks and cereals that I used to buy at the supermarket which are full to the brim with sugar and replaced them with sugar-free home-made snacks. My current snack favourites are Raspberry Ripe Bites.

Instead of cereal for breakfast I am having a piece of toast with avocado, egg and some smoked salmon or a Chia Pudding (seriously addicted).

Probiotics etc

Even with all the gut issues that I have had I have never taken a probiotic - I know, bad right! No wonder my guts are miserable. Dr Lee also has me taking antibiotics to get rid of the Streptococcus on a week on, week off situation with the probiotic over 4 weeks (e.g. wk 1 probiotic, wk 2 antibiotic, wk 3 probiotic, wk 4 and onwards probiotic).

The probiotic contains Lactobacillus Acidophilus Bifidobacterium Bifidum, Streptococcus Thermophilus - all such long, unpronounceable words.

She also prescribed Mutaflor, which is another probiotic that comprises a viable non-pathogenic strain of Escherichia coli (E.coli). It was first isolated in 1917 from the faeces of a soldier during the First World War who did not suffer dysentery or any other intestinal diseases (gross, yet also extremely fascinating).

In the morning I take Digestaid before I eat to aid my digestion and assist in maintaining healthy digestive function. 

At night I also drink a glass of CytoPro Repair which is a combination of herbal extracts and nutrients with high dose Glutamine to support the structural integrity and function of the gastrointestinal tract. 

Kombucha

I have started drinking Kombucha and really really like it! I mean I love cups of tea so why I thought I wouldn't like Kombucha I just don't know. Kombucha is known to have gut healing properties - well let's hope so.

Bone Broth

Dr Lee suggested I drink Bone Broth, I thought why the hell not! At this stage I am willing to give anything a big fat go. Apparently it is very good for gut healing - watch this space. 

Gelatin Gummies

This one has been prescribed by Sarah Wilson, she's close to a Dr, isn't she??

Anyhoo, I am going to make some gelatin gummies, which have 18 amino acids and will also assist in reducing the inflammation in my gut. 

Yoghurt

Gotta eat more yoghurt. I recently discovered Coconut Yoghurt and I love it! I am also using Jalna BioDynamic Organic Yoghurt whenever and wherever I can. 


Do you have any gut loving foods that you eat?









No comments:

Post a Comment