Saturday, April 26, 2014

My home away from home


When I left home 14 years ago, it took me a long time to stop referring to it as home. Wherever I rented, was just somewhere I lived. Somewhere I laid my head to sleep. But home, was home.

This was the place I had grown up with my beloved family. It was my safe place, my sanctuary. No matter what happened outside, when I came home I knew I was safe.

A lot has changed there since I have left. As time is want to do, it changes things. Trees have grown obscuring the view, paint colours have changed at least twice, furniture has been completely updated and artwork now happily adorns each wall. But that safe feeling still remains. It will always remain.

I have also changed a lot since leaving. I married, had two kids and bought a home. Therefore. my own family and home have been created. Hopefully creating a safe place and sanctuary for my own kids.

This week I took the kids home, to my parents house, to visit during the school holidays.

I love that my own kids love this place as much as I do. I love to hear them laughing with my dad as they kick the ball in the backyard. He takes them for bush walks and let's them play in the fountain. My mum reads to them and cooks them dinner. I know that this is also a safe place for them too.

It would be great if you could bottle these feelings and carry them around with you all the time.

I am eternally grateful to my parents for creating a safe place for my brother and I. And I really hope that we are doing the same for our kids.




Do you have a safe place? a sanctuary?

Linking up with Maxabella lovesLife, Love and Hiccups and Sonia Styling for Weekend Rewind.

No comments:

Post a Comment